Charlotte and I went for a walk today and it inspired us to learn more about the history of Kosova. I've come down with a cold or the flu or something nasty and I've spent most of the weekend trying to stay warm and nurse myself back to health in time for class on Monday. This has mostly been composed of eating lots of salads, beans, oranges and drinking about 5 liters of water a day. Tonight I think I'm on the road to recovery and hopefully by tomorrow morning I'll be feeling even better. The one thing I'm worried about is my voice, it's already hoarse and after a day of trying to control my
children I think I might end up using sign language.
Anyhow, after sitting around in front of an electric heater, watching repeats of Animal Planet and planning for my next week of classes I'd had enough. Charlotte and I decided to head out on a walk to look for food and get some fresh air. Off we went and were soon climbing up side streets and out of the city. As we walked we were suddenly taken by the "oh just to the Albanian flag, oh just to the top of that hill, oh just to that intersection..." syndrome and soon almost two hours had passed and we still hadn't eaten. But the view as we turned back to look where we had come from was pretty splendid. Thousands of snow covered roof tops nestled together on the rolling hills surrounding central Pristina conjured up warm thoughts of little wood stoves and woolen shawls.

Charlotte and I stopped in a little market to grab some Kit-Kats for energy to help us set back out on our exciting but frigid stroll. Also in the market were the peppers below. These babies are not only a common and traditional food in Kosovo but they're brilliantly delicious as well. They all have slightly different tastes but I think the best comparison would be to Banana Peppers. You find them in salads, pasta, bread dips, pickled, fried, stuffed with cheese, etc. I LOVE THEM. Ha, can't get enough. It's so wonderful to have fresh vegetables and fruit be so cheap and common in meals. In Singapore (because it has to import all of its produce) Charlotte and I would spend an arm and a leg just trying to buy some tomatoes and onions for pasta. Though, nothing can make me stop craving dosai. What I wouldn't do for a lovely bit of dosai smothered in sambar...
 |
| Delicious wonderful peppers... |
 |
| The edge of town and look at those wooded hills in the distance. I can't wait to get out exploring. |
After our Kit-Kats we were refueled and ready to make our way back down the hill into town. However, a couple of flags just over the crest of the hill caught our attention. As we came nearer, the freshly shoveled path and guard house hinted that we were looking at something pretty important.
What we had found was actually Ibrahim Rugova's grave site. Rugova is considered the 'father of the nation' and sadly died only four years ago. Ironically in a country where 80% of the population smokes, he died of lung cancer. I've linked Ibrahim Rugova's
NYT Obituary in case you want to read something with a bit more substance. I meant to write more about him but it's suddenly 10 pm and I'm getting more and more tired by the minute...
After paying our respects we set off for food and home. We passed through the city park which is full of lovely red pines.
 |
| Peek |
 |
| a-Boo! |
 |
| Ha possibly our first picture with both of us in the same frame! |
Below you can see a massive picture of Rugova hanging at the start of Mother Teresa Avenue.
Finally after over three hours of marching through the cold we found a restaurant and sat down to some grub and coffee. All in all it was good to get out and stretch the legs after having been cooped up inside most of the weekend. Tomorrow begins the madness, half days, HS exam week and no heat the whole time. Fingers crossed I've got enough planned to keep my wonderful children busy... until next time!
Hey- those lovely peppers have LOTS of vitamin C- just what you need!Unfortunately, the dosa mix and sambar are sitting on my counter, and I don't have a clue what to do with them.....
ReplyDelete