Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just a Saturday Afternoon

Good afternoon gentlemen and gentleladies.  I'm home alone reading a book so I thought I would take a little time to write a blog post.  Since coming to Pristina about four weeks ago, one thing I've realized is that my coffee addiction will be happily satiated.  Cafe 91 Shi is my favorite watering hole and indeed, I've probably spent the better part of a whole week just sitting and having coffee.  

Every morning I wake up at 6am, get dressed and head down to the 91 for coffee before homeroom.  It's just next to the American School and since we don't have a teachers' lounge, almost all the teachers head over for a coffee during their breaks from class.  During my breaks, I tend to follow suit because my classroom is occupied by Albanian classes and I just have no where else to go!  

But I'm not complaining.  I love having "my" coffee shop.  It's wonderful to walk in and my coffee is already being made, my table is beckoning me, and when I have no money the waiter's just say "next time..."  I also love that my drink of choice is an Americano.  I feel like I'm participating in a defining identity that was brought to Europe 50 years ago by American G.I.s in WWII.

I've also met some really interesting people over a cup of Joe.  It's great because the American soldiers and police always have the stars and stripes somewhere and so I can give them a little nod.  So far I've met Americans who are in charge of the riot police, chief advisors to the Kosovo Police and have tons of experience living in the Balkans.  Ha, they said if we ever have any problems we can just give them a ring and they can take care of us so that's pretty cool.  Here are some pics of the 91...   

Charlotte + Mornings =  (...)

We're usually the first people there each morning.

this dude finds my obsession with black coffee hilarious...

come on in!

Below is my attempt at a panoramic view of the city center from the top of my building...  it sort of gives you an idea of the city. Imagine that the pictures are connected.  Maybe if you put your eyes right up against the computer screen?  Can you see the abandoned Serb church?



Finally, Charlotte bought an Indian wall hanging from a little shop yesterday, only 18 euro!  It's always nice having little things to remind you of home.  I thought I could also show you exactly where I am right now.  Curled up on the couch reading "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs.  Once again, I've become obsessed with an adventure novel about the Himalayas.  It's like my senior year of college all over again circa  "The Heart of the World" in the Cage at Olaf.  There's something about coffee shops and reading books about adventuring and religious philosophy that make me want to just pack up all of my belongings and go live in a Nepali monastery for a year or two.  Seriously, if I can somehow convince Charlotte it's a good idea I think that will be my next step after Kosovo. 

Reading couch for this afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment